[EMBOSS] Web Interfaces to Emboss Tools

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Thu Jul 13 17:11:23 UTC 2006

Hi Andy,

Congratulations on your decisions to migrate from GCG to EMBOSS.  We did
it about a 2 yrs ago because of SeqWeb issues with different web
browsers.  We haven't looked back since.  If you would like to see our
installation, go to
http://emboss.umdnj.edu/emboss.

We were using GCG for at least 5+ years (before I started working here).
I discovered EMBOSS about 3 yrs ago and prefer it over GCG for many
reasons.  We didn't make the transition until we found a suitable web
interface as the majority of our users prefer the web interface.  In the
end, we chose EMBOSS-Explorer - it's a simple, clean interface
compatible with a wide range of browsers (a severely lacking feature
with SeqWeb).

I noticed you require server-side storge, EMBOSS-Explorer requires
nothing on the server side not even user accounts, the users store
everything locally on their machines.  This reduced our maintainence
needs for backups.  We find it to be a better solution than maintaining
central storage for this type of data.

I would recommend you tell your users to get their data out of SeqWeb.
You can hold onto the storage in case anyone doesn't.  There is a hidden
file called .gcgwebprojects in /seqweb/config or something like that,
that associates users with projects, so if you have to, you can go back
at a later date to retrieve data for users.  We've only had to do this a
handful of times.  The files are stored in text format, FASTA format I
think.

Good luck!

Ryan Golhar  -  golharam at umdnj.edu
The Informatics Institute of UMDNJ