[EMBOSS] Web Interfaces to Emboss Tools

Andy Fant loungechimp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 16:18:05 UTC 2006

Afternoon all,
    After a particularly bad run of defective data DVDs from Accelrys,
I have decided that I want to make a full-court press to convince the
decision makers that we could spend the money we are spending on that
subscription and license on other priorities and migrate our core
bioinformatics service to Emboss.

     I have two primary questions related to this.  First, much of our
user community is using SeqWeb as their interface to GCG.  I know that
there are a few Emboss web interfaces out there, and I would like to
get feedback from people that have deployed them to wide-ranging
production about their experiences.  The ability to store sequence
data and results on the server side is considered to be an essential
feature, which appears to rule out some of the leading contenders.

    Also, does anyone have any experience/scripts/warnings for pulling
the corpus of data stored in SeqWeb out into a format easily
accessible by Emboss and it's various web interfaces?  I'd rather not
go in and manually try to extract it if there is a better way.

Thanks in advance.  If there is demand, I'll summarize for the list.

(My apologies for the nom de plume.  I don't want to telegraph my
plans to managers or vendors until I have all my ducks in a row)