[EMBOSS] installing zlib, libpng and gd

Jon Ison jison at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Sep 6 10:11:15 UTC 2005

Hi John

> download and install three more tar.gz files called z, png and gd
> libraries.  What will these actually do for the program

PNG (http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/) is an image file format.  libpng
is used in application programs to support the PNG file format. libpng
uses zlib (http://www.zlib.net/) for compression of & decompression of
PNG files.  GD (http://www.boutell.com/gd/) is for the dynamic creation
of images (e.g. in PNG, JPEG, GIF formats).

> and will this
> cause any conflicts with other programs previously installed?

No, unless a program only works with an old version of the above
(unlikely).

> For instance I had previously installed the Phyllip package of
> programs, what will happen if I install the set included in the EMBOSS
> package?

There shouldn't be any conflicts and you should be able to use either
version.

> If I do not move the Phyllip package into the EMBOSS folder
> and expand it, will the EMBOSS install correctly?

Yes.

> Does the installation of these libraries cause any other problems
> any other programs?

see above

Cheers

Jon