[EMBOSS] emboss on redhat enterprise linux 64-bit

Andrew.Mather at dpi.vic.gov.au Andrew.Mather at dpi.vic.gov.au
Thu Nov 10 23:10:04 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I can confirm that it's a compiler/glibc thing with RHEL on Opteron.

We had the same experience.   Compile without errors, but segfault on
execution.  We upgraded GCC to 4.0.1 and all went fine.

Andrew

Bioinformatics Advanced Scientific Computing,
Animal Genetics and Genomics, PIRVic Attwood
475 Mickleham Road, Attwood, 3049
ph +61 3 92174342
mob  0413 009 761

----------------
There are 10 kinds of people...those who understand binary and those who
don't.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           njoly at pasteur.fr       |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           emboss-bounces at emboss.o|
|         |           pen-bio.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           09/11/2005 10:52 PM    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  |       To:       Tim.Troup at ed.ac.uk                                                                                           |
  |       cc:       emboss at emboss.open-bio.org                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  Re: [EMBOSS] emboss on redhat enterprise linux 64-bit                                                        |

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 10:45:54AM +0000, Tim Troup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install emboss version 2.8.0 on a dual 64-bit xeon
> processor machine running redhat enterprise linux. The reason I am
> installing version 2.8.0 is because I wish to make emboss available
> as a set of web services via soaplab (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/soaplab/)
> and currently soaplab is tied to version 2.8.0 (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/
> soaplab/ServiceSets.html).
>
> I configured the install as follows:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/emboss --without-x --enable-64
>
> then did make and make install with no obvious error messages.
>
> However, when i try to run any of the apps from the command line I  get:
>
> Segmentation fault
>
> Anyone got any tips as to how to get emboss running on this kind of
> set up?

We already saw this on our amd64 machine running CenOS 3.6 (RHEL
clone). It looks like a compiler/glibc/... bug as it disappeared when
we upgraded the machines to CentOS 4.2.

--
Nicolas Joly

Biological Software and Databanks.