[EMBOSS] Cannot open division file

pmr at ebi.ac.uk pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 16:21:23 UTC 2005

Hi Tim,

> I have just installed emboss and was running a few programs over the
> test databases to ensure everything was working properly. When I run
> seqret for example i get the following error:
>
> wilkie226:~ troup$ seqret
> Reads and writes (returns) sequences
> Input sequence(s): tsw:hba_human
> Warning: Cannot open division file '<null>' for database 'tsw'
> Warning: seqCdQry failed
> Error: Unable to read sequence 'tsw:hba_human'

If you look in the emboss.defaults file you will see, near the top, a line
like this:

# SET emboss_tempdata /homes/pmr/local/share/EMBOSS/test

You need to uncomment this, and set the directory (the /homes/pmr/local
part) to be wherever you installed EMBOSS.

If you look further down to the database definition of tsw you will see
emboss_tempdata is used ... and also for the other test databases we use
for the progam manual examples and for our QA testing .... but you can of
course use the real databases (locally indexed, or pointing to - for
example - the EBI's SRS server).

# swissprot (Puffer fish entries)

DB tsw [ type: P dir: $emboss_tempdata/swiss
   method: emblcd format: swiss release: 36
   fields: "sv des org key"
   comment: "Swissprot native format with EMBL CD-ROM index" ]

Hope that clears things up