[EMBOSS] emboss installation

Carlos Quijano cquijano at iib.uam.es
Tue May 10 08:54:04 UTC 2005

Perhaps I will go a little bit out of the thread, but as excange I give
some ideas related with it first, and then I say what I actually want to
share/advice.

With the simple output of ./configure is not possible to know how
exactly happens your crash, and I will give no more info than Simon.
But I suspect that the problem is in your development libraries (you
miss something). Do what the crash-output tells you and study the
installation "log", if necessary, use special verbose options
in ./configure to investigate further.

Luck!

As far as I know, there are not current binaries for v2.10, so perhaps
it is the reason for you to compile the sources. I suposse anyway that
Gentoo will provide v2.10 Emboss sources soon and then you would only
need to use Gentoo.

(http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=emboss)

You can even try to install emboss 2.10 gentoo sources right now, having
in mind that you would have to unmask it from portage because it is in
testing phase by this very moment.

I love to compile and patch from sources... Gentoo is great for this!
Debian too.
If you are to habitually compile lots of packages by yourself I
recommend you Gentoo. If not, Debian, that you can install from binaries
easier and afterwards some packages from source when you need it.

Currently, I am a happy man with Gentoo.
My workstation is now my friend, not my nightmare.
And I dont need to get crazy before planning a whole system upgrade, and
neither after...

I only wanted to share my happiness, sorry for the somewhat offtopic
mail...

:D

Carlos.