[EMBOSS] Wiki (and Macs)

José R. Valverde jrvalverde at cnb.uam.es
Fri Apr 22 08:11:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:20:24 +0100
Peter Rice <pmr at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

> After all ... there is not much point in changing a wiki version of the
> documentation if we are busy changing the application and the real
> documentation :-)
>
> regards,
>
> Peter

Right you are Sir. I guess it's better as it is for now. And yet...

Speaking generally, it probably boils down to the management model we
want for EMBOSS. As it is now I tend to see it much like a Cathedral
than a Bazaar. Truly it isn't, but you must agree it is not so evident
from the docs what the procedures are for participation. At least not
at first sight.

I'm more for the Bazaar model, one where everyone is welcome and
making changes is as trivial as possible (specially for end-users
and end-user-related material, like docs). I'd rather have that as
a 'common' to build a user community around. Game theory shows that
to be the best strategy in the long run (see e.g.
http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Tragedy_of_the_commons ).

In the short run, with limited resources as the EMBOSS team currently
is, you are right it takes a significant effort and portion of the
existing resources. It makes more sense to concentrate on the short
term now and surviving enough to drive new resources in.

But I think we should have that in sight for the long term.