[EMBOSS] emboss, a web interface for EMBOSS

Dr T. Carver tcarver at rfcgr.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 14:27:34 UTC 2004

Hi Mat,

It is possibly worth adding some of the main aspects of the Jemboss GUI:

Jemboss :
========

-launched via the web (Java Web Start) or a script
-works communicates to EMBOSS via SOAP (client-server) or directly
(standalone)
-optional user authentication (unix)
-presents programs as group listings & as a scroll list, parameters
displayed with pop-up help & help links
-local and server file management systems
-stores client-server results on the server, along with the run
information.
-provides direct access to the Jemboss Alignment Editor (though this can
be run independently of the main Jemboss GUI).
-dynamically calculates default parameters based on the users input (as
EMBOSS does from the command line).
-interactive or batch submission of EMBOSS applications to job queues
(NQS, OpenPBS or just the background).
-installation script provided to set up client-server or stadalone. This
install EMBOSS, Jemboss, axis, & tomcat on all EMBOSS supported platforms.
Plus a web-launch installation script

For more information on the design have a look at:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14512356&dopt=Abstract

Regards

Tim Carver
MRC Rosalind Franklin Centre for Genomics Research
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SB, UK
Tel: +44 1223 494500  Fax: +44 1223 494512
E-mail: tcarver at rfcgr.mrc.ac.uk  Web: http://www.rfcgr.mrc.ac.uk