Probs with using EMBL database.

Emboss User emboss_user at poczta.ibb.waw.pl
Thu Feb 13 15:08:06 UTC 2003

 Hello,
Just directly to the point... I've installed Emboss 2.6.0 which I try to
reach EMBL database from. When I try to fetch sequences using ID -
everything works fine, but I'm not able to get some of sequences using
their Accession Numbers. For example:

% entret sptrembl:h1_chick
Reads and writes (returns) flatfile entries
Output file [h1_chick.entret]:
% grep EMBL h1_chick.entret
(...)
DR   EMBL; J00863; -; NOT_ANNOTATED_CDS.
% entret embl:J00863
(...)
Output file [e25559.entret]:
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is not the sequence I wanted, so lets try with ID:

% grep J00863 /data/embl/acnumber.ndx
(...)
J00863       GGH11A1    VRT J00863
% entret embl:GGH11A1
(...)
Output file [ggh11a1.entret]:
% grep ID ggh11a1.entret
ID   GGH11A1    standard; DNA; VRT; 1098 BP.
% grep AC ggh11a1.entret
AC   J00863;

Now it is OK. It is possible to avoid searching IDs to fetch the sequence?
It's not so convenient, especially from Jemboss ;)
The problem is the same with any other program from Emboss, so I suspect
problems in indexing.

I indexed EMBL database like this:

% dbiflat -idformat embl -directory ./ -filenames "*.dat" -dbname embl
-release 73.0 -date 13/02/03

There is such a line in my emboss.default:

DB embl [ type: N method: emblcd format: embl dir: /data/embl
file: "*.dat" release: 73.0 comment: "EMBL release 73.0" ]

Sorry for longish mail, I'm new to this list.
Please - give me an wise advise ;)
Best Regards,

Grzegorz Wieczorek