[EMBOSS] JEMBOSS login prob

Aengus Stewart aengus.stewart at cancer.org.uk
Tue Aug 12 19:40:47 UTC 2003

"Dr T. Carver" wrote:

> Hi Aengus
>
> I am guessing that you cannot run any of the EMBOSS applications as well?
> Or can you run embossversion via the interface for example?

You are absolutely correct - nothing works  ( *groan* )

> You should check that as root you have changed the permissions on:
>
> chown root $EMBOSS_INSTALL/bin/jembossctl
> chmod u+s $EMBOSS_INSTALL/bin/jembossctl

Yup I had done that - it has permissions as follows

152 -rwsr-xr-x    1 root     cgal       77312 Aug 12 18:27 jembossctl

> Btw, why did you need to run deploy.csh? Did the services not get deployed
> with the install script?

Its a long story.

Basically we are getting a new server and there is no way in a million
years the sysadmin team will let me be root.
Also probably being "tomcat" is out.

Therefore I was attempting to discover on my own machine what bits of
the install I can do and what requires user tomcat and root - so I could
go to the sysadmins with a breakdown of what I had to do and what they
had to do.

Hence I was changing the permissions on /usr/java2/tomcat/webapps and
/usr/java2/tomcat/shared and then running the script as myself this all
worked file apart from the deployment was of course failing.

I was then switching to user tomcat and running

tomstop
tomstart
deploy.csh
tomstop
tomstart
runJemboss.csh

It all seemed to work fine apart from the small detail that it doesnt
work!

Aengus