Preferred isoschizomer ?

Guy Bottu gbottu at ben.vub.ac.be
Mon Apr 14 17:07:45 UTC 2003

from : BEN

	Dear colleagues,

A user of BEN complained about a serious problem with restrict/remap. He could
not find the site for PstI in a sequence, where the "wet work" showed the enzyme
did cut. He lost a lot of time because he thought he had made an error, while
the reason was that the program reported the isoshizomer BspMAI.

Now, in the Rebase we see :
<1>BspMAI
<2>PstI,AinI,AjoI,Ali2882I,AliAJI,ApiI,Asp36I,Asp708I,Asp713I,AspTI,BbiI,Bce170I
,BloHII,BloHIII,BmeBI,BsaNII,BsaQI,BscDI,Bsp17I,Bsp43I,Bsp63I,Bsp78I,Bsp81I,Bsp9
3I,Bsp107I,Bsp1.....

So, PstI is clearly identified as the prototype enzyme. Yet, when restrict is
requested to report only the "preferred" isoschizomer, it does not report PstI,
nor even the first in the file (AinI) or the last (YenEI). Does someone
understand the cause of the erratic behaviour ? And did noone else suffer from
this "feature" ?

	Regards,
	Guy Bottu