Compiling EMBOSS 2.4.1 on Mac OS X

Naofumi Kagami naofumi at mac.com
Tue Jul 30 15:34:50 UTC 2002

Hi Jason,

I just solved that one today. I think that the problem lies with Stuffit
Expander.

If you look into EMBOSS-2.4.1/doc/programs/html after expanding the
archive, you will notice that the file
'alignment_differences_group.html' is missing the final 'l' in '.html'.
The makefile is looking for '`alignment_differences_group.html' but only
finds '`alignment_differences_group.htm', so it sends out an error and
quits. At least that's what I'm guessing. I'm no UNIX expert myself :-).
I am guessing that Stuffit Expander is choking on long filenames (the
legacy of Classic) since the truncation is occurring after the 30th
letter.

After adding the final 'l' to the filename, do a make once more. You'll
find other errors that have to be solved in the same way. After doing
this several times, make should finish without errors. Then you can make
install.

Hope this works for you.

Naofumi Kagami