CD with precompiled EMBOSS (binaries)

David Bauer bauer at genprofile.com
Wed Sep 20 07:28:20 UTC 2000

Tsvika Greener wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> 1. I would like to run EMBOOS on my caldera Linux box (eDesktop2.4) that support rpm packaging. I read in EMBOSS manual that a
> CD with a pre-compiled EMBOSS is available. I would like to know from where I can get this CD? I do not mind to use Red Hat or
> SuSe for that reason.

Why do you want the binary version? I'm using EMBOSS on FreeBSD and as there is also
no binary version. I just recompile it from source. I don't think it is more complicated
then installing a rpm package. EMBOSS is updated frequently, so from the ftp server
you can always get the latest version.

> 2. Also, I would like to know how much space EMBOSS takes after compilation not including the Data base files. Is there any
> hardware limitation regarding EMBOSS? I would like to know if 250 MB RAM and PII-400 MHZ are enough?

The complete source tree (incl. docs) after compilation is about 35Mb.
I have a copy on my PC at home and that is a Celeron 400 with 96Mb RAM so you should
have no trouble with your configuration. (In fact I have EMBOSS also on my very ancient
laptop which is a 486/66).

> 3. Finally, I would like to know if EMBOSS have or will have an X-windows interface like GCG (seqLab). I know that GCG are
> making Linux version for seqLab (it is alfa version now).

Same question from me to the EMBOSS team.

--
David.