apologies / EDP update

Damian Counsell d.counsell at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Jul 26 08:28:45 UTC 2002

Dear All

I can't come to the EMBOSS meeting today because I have an article
deadline to meet (extended from yesterday), but, for those of you
interested, there are a couple of examples of the HTML output from
DocBook-ified documentation page sources available now from here:

     http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/~dcounsel/EDP/examples/Emowse.html

and here:

     http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/~dcounsel/EDP/examples/Emma.html

.  Any comments gratefully received.

If you have the fonts available and CSS support "on" in your browser
you should be able to see the effects on the page appearance of my
XHTML stylesheets overlaid on the output from Terry's XSL (and base
HTML) stylesheets.  If not, you'll still be able to see the pages set
out cleanly---as nature and the Blessed Tim Berners-Lee intended.

Terry's work is up to its usual godlike standard. My stuff is
flawed.  The address area, for example, becomes particularly squinty
on some browsers.  I have a feeling a set of compensatory font sizing
values will be necessary to deal with the worst effects of Internet
Explorer.

Terry and I have already discussed having a quick "main" contents
heading with the principal section headings visible in all but the
smallest browser window and accessible from the top of the page with a
click.

all the best

Damian

Damian COUNSELL                      email:  d.counsell at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
MRC Human Genome Mapping Project RC  phone:  +44 (0)1223 494500
Cambridge CB10 1SB                   direct: +44 (0)1223 494585
http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/~dcounsel/ fax:    +44 (0)1223 494512