[DAS] Survey on DAS projects

Andy Jenkinson andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Nov 18 15:14:02 UTC 2011

Hi Manuel,

Since 2008 ProServer has had a BED format SourceAdaptor (called bed12, as it is intended to work with the 12-field BED format). It also supports Hydras, which are modules that are designed to automatically create DAS sources from a single config without restarting the server. This is how EasyDAS works with ProServer: there is one SourceAdaptor, and a Hydra to scan a relational database for new data.

I don't know what 23andme's data looks like, but the addition of a Hydra to scan directories for new files and automatically make them available as DAS sources would seem to be a trivial piece of work. I daresay a VCF adaptor would also be fairly easy, especially if there is a Perl API of some sort (BioPerl?).

Cheers,
Andy