[DAS] Question about DAS clients and DAS registry servers

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 13:21:05 UTC 2009

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks very much for your reply. My comments are inline below:

2009/1/12 Jonathan Warren <jw12 at sanger.ac.uk>:
> Hi Dan
>
> Thanks for putting up the table - I'll add some info to it shortly.

Cheers, that would be great!

> The dasregistry source code is downloadable using subversion at
> http://www.derkholm.net/svn/repos/dasregistry/trunk/
>
> You will also need a mysql instance set up. I can send you some info on
> that if you wish.

Please provide as much information as possible! :-D

> There are many dependencies and configurations needed- so it may take a
> while to set up a fully fledged version - it may be better to experiment
> with your sources using the real one - I'll help you out if you need
> clarification on anything such as error messages and logs. Or is it that
> you don't want to release your data to the world and only want an in
> house version?

Yes. In the long run we will be making all our data publicly
available, however, for R&D purposes and leading up to publication of
the source data we would like to experiment with an in-house registry.
Also, I think it would be a convenient administrative / organizational
tool for us. i.e. to keep track of the various data sources
(experimental or otherwise) that are being developed in-house.

> I think I would recomment using ensembl to connect to your sources in
> the first instance - but if you want the client to sit on your
> desktop/local server then maybe GBrowse (this is for genomic annotations
> obvioyusly)?

Sorry for my ignorance, but can I ask if you mean that I should use
ensembl remotely (on some server 'out there') and point it at my local
reference / annotation server? The problem is again that both are
internal, with no outfacing interface. In any case, its clear that I
need to read more about ensembl, so feel free to ignore this question.

In another email you said: "You can just put the table onto biodas.org
if you wish..."

I see this point. I am never sure how 'external' wikis should interact
with Wikipedia when overlapping data is available in both. In this
case I thought I'd edit WP, but please feel free to move the table to
somewhere within biodas.org - I wasn't immediately sure where to put
it, which is partly why I picked WP.

Thanks very much for the information above,

Dan.