[DAS] Question about DAS clients and DAS registry servers

Andy Jenkinson andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 14:06:55 UTC 2009

Dan Bolser wrote:
> 2009/1/12 Jonathan Warren <jw12 at sanger.ac.uk>:
>> I think I would recomment using ensembl to connect to your sources in
>> the first instance - but if you want the client to sit on your
>> desktop/local server then maybe GBrowse (this is for genomic annotations
>> obvioyusly)?
>
> Sorry for my ignorance, but can I ask if you mean that I should use
> ensembl remotely (on some server 'out there') and point it at my local
> reference / annotation server? The problem is again that both are
> internal, with no outfacing interface. In any case, its clear that I
> need to read more about ensembl, so feel free to ignore this question.

It would depend on which genomes you are interested in. If Ensembl (or
another Ensembl-powered site) supports your genomes, you could it to
display your DAS annotations provided the DAS servers are accessible to
the Ensembl servers. If not, you would have to set up an independent
local Ensembl installation containing your reference genome data.
Something similar would be required for GBrowse, but I suspect Ensembl
is more complicated.

Current visual genomic DAS clients tend not to use DAS reference servers
for sequence data. Rather they have taken to storing this data locally.