[DAS] Adding sensitive annotations to ENSEMBL site

James Freeman James_Freeman@biogen.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:04:26 -0400

Hi Christian,

>From my experience in just such an install, I agree with Ewan, and for
specific implementations, I recommend the LDAS server for your in
house/client annotations:

http://www.biodas.org/servers/LDAS.html

--
James Freeman
Bioinformatics Consultant at Biogen/DAS and LDAS Zealot ;)

Ewan Birney <birney@ebi.ac.uk>
Sent by: das-admin@biodas.org
04-Aug-2002 11:52 AM

        To:     cxs <christian.sonntag@lbri.lionbioscience.com>
        cc:     das@biodas.org
        Subject:        Re: [DAS] Adding sensitive annotations to ENSEMBL site

If DAS is working for you in house, this sounds like the best way to
handle this - by using DAS your annotations are sensibly held separate
from Ensembl and when you update Ensembl as long as your DAS server is
serving in accession or raw contig coordinates, you are likely not to even
have to update the DAS server.

So... why would you want to put things into the main ensembl tables?

Most successful behind firewall installations use this local-DAS-for-own
-data, and "standard" Ensembl in house