[BioSQL-l] Oracle support...

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Thu Jul 31 12:51:23 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 04:34  PM, Len Trigg wrote:

> Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>> and whatever else we're going to develop for our Symgene platform.
>
> I've seen Symgene mentioned a few times but google only turns up sort
> of aside comments like this -- is there a comprehensive description of
> it somewhere? Is it a system that is going to be publicly available,
> or a commercial product, or only in-house at gnf? Where does BioSQL
> fit in to this?

Biosql is the underlying database (schema). Many pieces used to build
Symgene are public already because they are open source components
(biosql, bioperl, bioperl-db, jfreechart, to name a few). What is not
public yet is primarily the Java middleware and webapp code that we've
written, but it will be shortly. There also will be a public site for
the webapp, but part of the data content may only be available in-house
at GNF.

There's no comprehensive description yet, but we'll write one and
publish it.

>> Sure, that's why it's very modular. The present one can be as low in
>> complexity as you can go already, it's maybe just not very well
>> documented how to do that. You can customize the build script to
>
> Maybe that should be the default configuration for the version that is
> in BioSQL CVS?

That's a good suggestion. ala keep it simple by default and allow
complexity for the power users. Sure, why not.

>  i.e. have the different RDBMS schemas as close as
> possible. It's hard to see sometimes where the bounds of "BioSQL" lie
> -- I had been looking at it as primarily the standard database schema
> that the Bio* projects all access, but it looks like it is also
> coupled closely with the symgene project.

Symgene is coupled closely to biosql, not really vice versa, except if
you will for the fact that that is my business reason for driving its
development.

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org