[BioSQL-l] still cramming genbank

Elia Stupka elia@fugu-sg.org
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:12:24 +0800 (SGT)

> SELECT * FROM sometable WHERE someattribute LIKE '%someword%';
>
> The search takes forever.  I was wondering if other people have experienced
> this problem, and what kinds of things I should look into in order to speed
> things up and make the database usable.

"LIKE" searches always take forever, because of the non-exactness. Best
thing is to try and eliminate where possible the actual need for
"LIKE" searches. Better to create for example a full-text index (you can
do that running a separate instance of MySQL 4) and use that to search...

Elia

* http://www.fugu-sg.org/~elia *
* tel:    +65 6874 1467        *
* mobile: +65 9030 7613        *