[BioSQL-l] still cramming genbank

Josiah Altschuler jaltschuler@CGR.Harvard.edu
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 00:49:07 -0500

Hi.  I have a good portion of genbank (maybe 15 million entries) into MySQL,
and when I make a query such as:

SELECT * FROM sometable WHERE someattribute LIKE '%someword%';

The search takes forever.  I was wondering if other people have experienced
this problem, and what kinds of things I should look into in order to speed
things up and make the database usable.  Is this something that can only be
solved by faster hardware, or by using indexing in a way that I am unaware
of, or perhaps there are some other methods?  How are other people solving
this?

Thanks for the help,
Josiah