[BioSQL-l] still cramming genbank

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:05:57 -0800

The problem is the wildcard at the beginning of the search string.
This prevents it from using an index, using a full table scan
instead. (A full table scan over 15 Mio entries should still come
back after a while!) (If you can rewrite the query to only have the
wildcard at the end, it should be pretty fast.)

MySQL does have text indexing though as Elia mentions. If I remember
correctly, your version is around 3.23.50, which should have this
capability. Check the MySQL docs for 'MATCH AGAINST'.

	-hilmar