[Biopython] Uniprot UNIfire new engine

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 12 09:59:08 UTC 2019

Hi Téletchéa,

I was not aware of this tool, but it is outside my area. Looking at the
slides title,

Exchanging protein function prediction rules with the community;
The URML format and UniFIRE engine.
Alexandre Renaux,Bioinformatics Software Engineer, EBI.

Given URML is to hold "The Fact Model", it doesn't fit under Bio.SeqIO
(which covers sequence file formats including the legacy plain text flat
files dating back to SwissProt, and their replacement UniProt XML).

I suspect this is more targeted to data integration systems like RDF
(something else UniProt are strong in) and rule reasoning systems,
which are much broader than just bioinformatics.

I've not watched the video, and only skimmed the slides. How would
you see this fitting into Biopython?

Regards,

Peter