[Biopython-dev] GitHub repository for Biopython Project talks/abstracts?, e.g. BOSC

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 15:32:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Retitling from the BOSC 2014 abstract discussion,
>
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Wibowo Arindrarto
> <w.arindrarto at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
> wrote:

> next

> >> I like the idea of https://github.com/biopython/talks as a shared
> >> repository for Biopython presentations from the team - things
> >> like BOSC talks, or other events like the SciPy or EuroSciPy
> >> conferences.
> >
> > Shall I make this repo? This sounds like the right place to put the
> abstract :).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Bow
>
> Are there any objections to creating this new repository for plain text
> files (e.g. LaTeX or other markup) for any official Biopython talks or
> talk abstracts? e.g. Is it better to have separate repositories?
>
> If yes, should it start with (back-dated) commits for the recent BOSC
> abstracts (at least those which I have as LaTeX files)?
>
> Should we settle on a default licence for future content (e.g. actual
> slides)? I would suggest CC-BY v4.0 for this.
>
> Peter

All of that sounds like a good idea to me -- something like
github.com/biopython/presentations, with an inclusive view of what
qualifies as a presentation? That would be a handy for building new
material, or for others curious about these things. (Most of our talks are
on SlideShare under various accounts, but it doesn't hurt to control the
source material ourselves.)

I have the LaTeX sources for the BOSC 2012 Biopython Project Update talk
and abstract, and also my BOSC 2010 talk on Bio.Phylo/GSoC2009 if you'd
like.

Eric