[Biopython-dev] Moratorium on commits?

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 11:33:40 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 12 August 2013 11:53, Kai Blin <kai.blin at biotech.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Personally, one of the things I like about BioPython is how fast I'm able
> to get bugfixes in.

I agree that the light approach to process is great. 99% of the patches are
pacific and would suffer from a heavier process.

For the rare cases where there are problems, revert can be used. My code
has been reverted a couple of times and I am fine with that (when one
commits to a public project with shared ownership one should expect
peer-review, sometimes heated discussion and corrections - it is normal).

If one thinks a change can be problematic, an initial discussion would be a
good idea. Of course, some times we do not know until after the fact, then
again, the good thing about version control is that we can undo things...

Generally things have been working very well and I would not change the
process to something heavier just because of a single case. Single cases
should be sorted on a case-by-case basis, with no stress.

My 2p,
Tiago