[Biopython-dev] Moratorium on commits?

Kai Blin kai.blin at biotech.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Aug 12 10:53:17 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-09 19:26, João Rodrigues wrote:

Dear biopython devs,

> Since not everybody is in the same timezone, has the same availability,
> etc, what about we introduce a brief moratorium over commits of say 3 days
> (except for critical bug fixes)? This will give everybody probably enough
> time to read the email and give their opinion.

I've been through discussions like this before, in a lot of open source
projects I'm involved in. I don't think this is a good step to take.
Saying that "all patches need to wait unless they're special" will
eventually lead to a dilution of what is considered special, and then
lead to a point where most patches by core contributors happen to be
special and patches by new contributors aren't. Because the policy
doesn't explicitly state this, you then create a very unwelcoming
atmosphere for the project. I would recommend to consider if avoiding
the occasional revert is worth that cost.

Personally, one of the things I like about BioPython is how fast I'm
able to get bugfixes in.

My two cents,
Kai

Dipl.-Inform. Kai Blin         kai.blin at biotech.uni-tuebingen.de
Institute for Microbiology and Infection Medicine
Division of Microbiology/Biotechnology
Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen
Auf der Morgenstelle 28                 Phone : ++49 7071 29-78841
D-72076 Tübingen                        Fax :   ++49 7071 29-5979
Germany
Homepage: http://www.mikrobio.uni-tuebingen.de/ag_wohlleben