[Biopython-dev] powerful Alignment class in Biopython?

Jan Kosinski kosa at genesilico.pl
Thu Jan 11 11:34:50 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a feeling that it would be better to write all methods similar to
BioPerl ones directly for BioPython Alignment class. The main reason is
that this class is not related to any format like Fasta, Clustal or
Nexus. It stores SeqRecords which are also not in Fasta or other format.
It would make many things easier. For instance, I can write all my
functions which do sth with alignments so that they accept general
Alignment objects (and not necessarily FastaAlignment or
ClustalAlignment objects ). Would not it better to write all stuff which
do general things with alignments (column counting, column
selection/removal etc.) so that it works with general Alignment class
rather than with class for alignment of specific biological format?

Janek