[Biopython-dev] Software demonstration at GIW 2003 in Japan

Iddo Friedberg idoerg at burnham.org
Thu Oct 16 12:23:56 EDT 2003

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:
> Dear Biopython developers,
>
> I am volunteering to give a software demonstration of Biopython at the
> International Conference on Genome Informatics (GIW) in Tokyo/Yokohama
> this December. GIW is the largest annual conference on bioinformatics in
> Asia: see http://giw.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/giw2003 for more information.
> The software demonstrations are set up like a poster session (instead of
> an oral presentation such as at BOSC), allowing easy communication with
> potential users. Such a software demonstration comes with a two-page
> paper describing the software. This paper is not medline-indexed and
> there is no rigorous refereeing involved for such short papers. However,
> it appears together with the full-length papers in the proceedings, so
> there will be a permanent record. The proceedings will be publicly
> available on the web after the conference.
> (http://www.jsbi.org/journal/GIW02/GIW02SS05.pdf is the paper for the
> software demonstration by our Bioruby colleagues last year at GIW).

Fantastic! I'm reminded of the "Made in" albums by Deep Purple:
"Biopython: Made in Japan".

> The deadline for submissions has already passed, however since my lab is
> organizing this conference we have some leeway. I'll be happy to write
> the paper, but I will need some help:

Nothing like having friends in high places... or being in one yourself.

> 1) Are there any other papers on Biopython from which I can plagiarize
> the parts of Biopython that I am not very familiar with?

Jeff & Brad wrote something, but back in 2000. A lot has changed since.
Still:

http://biopython.org/docs/acm/ACMbiopy.pdf

> 2) Would somebody be willing to have a look at the paper before I submit
> it, in case I write something wrong?

I can.

> 3) Who should I include as co-authors? Anybody is welcome, as far as I
> am concerned.

Ummm.. definitely the triumvirate: Jeff, Brad & Andrew.

Here's what I would do: take the top N posters to biopython-dev, N being
the number of people you want on the paper.

> 4) Does anybody have any cool scripts that make use of Biopython that I
> can show off at the conference?

I have two websites:

http://bioinformatics.org/pecop

http://ffas.ljcrf.edu:8080/Fragnostic

Which use the FASTA parsing, GenBank parsing, PDB parsing, GO module,
and some other stuff. Nothing really cool in the source codes though. If
you want to show code, I would suggest using something basic, like the
manual. However, those are biopython powered sites, which is always good
for PR.

--
Iddo Friedberg, Ph.D.
The Burnham Institute