[Biopython-dev] Software demonstration at GIW 2003 in Japan

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Oct 16 00:19:50 EDT 2003

Dear Biopython developers,

I am volunteering to give a software demonstration of Biopython at the
International Conference on Genome Informatics (GIW) in Tokyo/Yokohama
this December. GIW is the largest annual conference on bioinformatics in
Asia: see http://giw.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/giw2003 for more information.
The software demonstrations are set up like a poster session (instead of
an oral presentation such as at BOSC), allowing easy communication with
potential users. Such a software demonstration comes with a two-page
paper describing the software. This paper is not medline-indexed and
there is no rigorous refereeing involved for such short papers. However,
it appears together with the full-length papers in the proceedings, so
there will be a permanent record. The proceedings will be publicly
available on the web after the conference.
(http://www.jsbi.org/journal/GIW02/GIW02SS05.pdf is the paper for the
software demonstration by our Bioruby colleagues last year at GIW).

The deadline for submissions has already passed, however since my lab is
organizing this conference we have some leeway. I'll be happy to write
the paper, but I will need some help:
1) Are there any other papers on Biopython from which I can plagiarize
the parts of Biopython that I am not very familiar with?
2) Would somebody be willing to have a look at the paper before I submit
it, in case I write something wrong?
3) Who should I include as co-authors? Anybody is welcome, as far as I
am concerned.
4) Does anybody have any cool scripts that make use of Biopython that I
can show off at the conference?

Thanks in advance,

--Michiel, U Tokyo.

--
Michiel de Hoon, Assistant Professor
University of Tokyo, Institute of Medical Science