[Biopython-dev] add dynamic programming alignment modules

Jeffrey Chang jchang at SMI.Stanford.EDU
Wed Aug 1 19:57:22 EDT 2001

On the flight home from ISMB, I coded up some modules to do pairwise
alignments.  I went ahead and put them into the Bio.Align package
because they seem most appropriate there -- I hope nobody objects!

There are two main modules: pairwise.py and fastpairwise.py.  The
first one implements a slower, more general alignment algorithm.  The
second is faster, but requires an affine gap penalty.  Right now,
they're both implemented in python.  However, I broke the code up in
such a way so that it won't be hard to swap out a piece of it with
fast C code.  I didn't have time to do this on the flight, but might
get to it at a later date.

Enjoy!

Jeff