[Biopython-dev] 0.90-d04 coming soon...

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Wed Nov 15 14:27:19 EST 2000

Jeff:
>  I remember that you promised me to look into rpm's
> and windows binaries when the source release is made!  :)

Darn, I thought you forgot :-). Seriously, I looked at the
documentation and tried to learn a little about rpms, and it appears
as if you can make rpms using distutils as easily as:

python setup.py bdist_rpm

As far as I can tell (using rpm -qpl the.rpm), the rpm appears to be
complete and in good order.

So, I should have no problem making rpms for linuxppc (which is the
only linux system I have access to) -- hopefully we can get people to
volunteer for other systems as long as we can provide the simple
instructions for them. Maybe we can ask about this on the main list
once the new distribution is out.

Windows will take me a little longer -- there are no docs in
distutils, and I still need to learn myself some python on Windows. I
will work on it though :-)

[should SubsMat go in?]
> Yes, if Iddo agrees as well.  Please let me know if it's going in!

Okee dokee, I just put it in, along with tests and an update on
setup.py. Please let me know if any of the tests fail or if it gives
you any problems.

I'm ccing this to Iddo (not sure if he listens in on the dev list) but
hopefully he can make a post about it on the main list and announce
that it is in there for people to play with.

Enjoy!

Brad