[Bioperl-l] Wanting to inject date into a SeqIO object

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Mon Feb 9 17:19:37 UTC 2009

Hi Dave,
One way to do it-
You could tack the date onto the 'description' field:

$inseq->desc( $inseq->desc . " {date: $DATE_FROM_DB}" );

And later do

($our_date) = ($inseq->desc =~ /{date: ([^}]+)}/);

to retrieve it. If it screws up downstream processing, get the date first
as above and then do

my $desc = $inseq->desc;
$desc =~ s/{date:.*?}//;
$inseq->desc($desc);

(or something like that...) to reset to "factory description".
cheers
MAJ