[Bioperl-l] Wanting to inject date into a SeqIO object

Dave Jacoby jacoby at purdue.edu
Mon Feb 9 16:54:59 UTC 2009

I'm working with a database full of transposable elements. We input
things in FASTA format, and save the date of the upload into the
database separately. When we want to display in GCG format,
specifically, Bio::SeqIO::gcg can't find a date in the object and uses
the current date. Using a line out of the x2y.pl example from the wiki,
we would like to go from this:

          while (my $inseq = $seq_in->next_seq) {
             $seq_out->write_seq($inseq);
          }

          while (my $inseq = $seq_in->next_seq) {
             $inseq->add_date($DATE_FROM_DB) ;
             $seq_out->write_seq($inseq);
          }

I have looked through the modules in Bio::SeqIO and I fail to understand
how to do such a thing. Can anyone help me?

--
Dave Jacoby                         Address: WSLR S049
Purdue Genomics Core                Mail:    jacoby at purdue.edu
                                     Jabber:  jacoby at jabber.org
                                     Phone:   hah!