[Bioperl-l] SimpleAlign - get_seq_by_id

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at sanbi.ac.za
Fri Oct 24 06:32:49 UTC 2008

The main reason it has not been Bio::SeqAlign is that sequence ID not
necessarily a unique identifier in a MSA. Multiple regions of the sequence
defined by one ID can be in one.

The current code returns only the more or less randomly selected first
Bio::LocatebleSeqI object with that ID. Should we make it context sensitive
and return an array of sequences in array context?

That brings up an other question: After the change, the get_seq_by_id() will
behave differently from all other instances of that method, so should it be
renamed to reflect that?

      -Heikkki