[Bioperl-l] Problems when trying to persist a sequence in my BioSQL database using, BioPerl

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Wed Jun 25 22:07:09 UTC 2008

Hi Gabrielle,

(note that I have changed the mailing list to bioperl - whoever
replies please cut biosql from the cc list, assuming that this indeed
isn't BioSQL's fault)

given the error message below, Bio::SeqIO::genbank can be found, but
it fails to load because it requires Bio::Species, which in turn
imports support for weak references from Scalar::Util. The last step
fails, causing loading Bio::Species to fail, which in turn causes
Bio::SeqIO::genbank to fail to load.

The real question is why your version of Perl doesn't seem to have
support for weak references (the reason for Scalar::Util failing to
load). Could you give details on your OS version and your version of
Perl (output of 'perl -V').

The question for BioPerl is whether there is a fall-back mechanism we
might want to support if weak references aren't supported, rather than
rendering the genbank parser unusable. Sendu or Chris - any thoughts
on this?

	-hilmar