[Bioperl-l] Packaging bioperl for Fedora

Allen Day allenday at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 04:02:03 UTC 2007

The majority of the Bioperl classes are file parsers, or manipulate
data that comes from the file parsers.  Yes there are exceptions like
the Eutils and Ensembl-intefacing classes, but they are the minority.
The types of files that are worked with are generally either A)
primary data sets such as genome data, or B) derivative data, such as
sequence alignments that are derived from primary data using an
algorithm.

If we're in agreement that the primary data sets and
libraries/applications for producing derivative data should not be
present in Fedora Extras, then it follows that the Bioperl classes for
manipulating these primary and derivative data  should also not be
present in Fedora Extras as they are of little use without data to
manipulate.

-Allen