[Bioperl-l] Phyloinformatics Summer of Code

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Mar 17 20:15:01 UTC 2007

(Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this. The message is
being posted to multiple channels.)

(Note that leading developers from both Biojava and BioPerl are
amongst the mentors.)

Phyloinformatics Summer of Code 2007

A collaborative Phyloinformatics Group, sponsored by the National
Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent: http://www.nescent.org/), is
working to develop user-interfaces, improve software interoperability
and support data exchange standards in evolutionary bioinformatics.
The specific projects are diverse in nature and range from the
development of AJAX components for web-based bioinformatics
applications, managing workflows using approaches from functional and
logic programming, and developing data exchange standards for
phylogenetic substitution models.

The Phyloinformatics group will be sponsoring student collaborators
through the Google Summer of Code program (http://code.google.com/
soc), which provides undergraduate, masters and PhD students with a
unique opportunity (over three summer months) to obtain hands-on
experience writing and extending open-source software under the
mentorship of experienced developers from around the world.  We are
particularly targeting students interested in both evolutionary
biology and software development.  Students will have one or more
dedicated mentors with expertise in phylogenetic methods and open-
source software development.  Our project proposals are flexible and
can be adjusted in scope to match the skills of students with less
programming proficiency. If the program sounds interesting to you but
you are unsure whether you have the necessary skills, please email
the mentors at phylosoc {at} nescent {dot} org.  We will work with
those who are genuinely interested to find a project that fits your
interest and skills.  Students will receive a stipend from Google and
will be invited to participate in future collaborative events such as
the NESCent Phyloinformatics Hackathons (http://www.nescent.org/wg/
phyloinformatics).

TO APPLY:
Students must apply on-line at the Google Summer of Code website
(http://code.google.com/soc). The application period for students is
now open and ends on Saturday, March 24, 2007 (one week from now).

The Phyloinformatics Summer of Code project and ideas page is at the
following URL:
http://phyloinformatics.net/Phyloinformatics_Summer_of_Code_2007

The above page also contains links to the GSoC program rules,
eligibility requirements, and stipend payment mechanism. We encourage
all interested students to email any questions, or self-proposed
project ideas, to phylosoc {at} nescent {dot} org. This will reach
all prospective mentors.

Eligibility requirements for students:
http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60279&topic=10730

Stipend for students:
http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60322&topic=10731

Please disseminate this announcement to appropriate students at your
institution.

Hilmar Lapp
Assistant Director for Informatics
NESCent