[Bioperl-l] First cut svn repository

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Thu Jun 28 18:06:50 UTC 2007

Sendu Bala writes:
 > [...]
 > I tried again in the same location and it told me I had to 'svn
 > cleanup', which I did. But subsequently it kept complaining about files
 > already being there.

You need to do the cleanup because svn exited gracelessly and you
needed to help it get back in it's feet.  The cleanup doesn't remove
the stuff that you did get checked out, so it's still there getting in
the way of your new checkout.

 > [...]
 > svn co
 > svn+ssh://dev.open-bio.org/home/hartzell/bioperl/bioperl-live/tags/release-0-9-2/t/data
 >
 > causes this repeatable problem:
 >
 > [...]
 > A    data/phredfile.phd
 > svn: In directory 'data'
 > svn: Can't move source to dest
 > svn: Can't move 'data/.svn/tmp/prop-base/HUMBETGLOA.FASTA.svn-base' to
 > 'data/.svn/prop-base/HUMBETGLOA.FASTA.svn-base': No such file or directory
 >
 > That is with Mac OS X svn command-line client, version 1.4.4
 >
 > I can get bioperl-live/tags/release-0-9-2/t/data to check out fine with
 > a linux svn command-line client, version 1.2.3.

I'm not 100% sure what's going on here, but I'm inclined to say "get a
real computer" (and yes, I'm typing this on a mac...).  I have a mac
pro that runs FreeBSD-STABLE part time and it's ggrrreeaatt (as tony
the tiger used to say)....

I think that we're having trouble with case sensitivity.  My only
evidence is that I can see where there have been both HUMBETGLOA.FASTA
and HUMBETGLOA.fasta in the tree at various times.  I can't figure out
anything else that's weird about that file.  On the other hand, I
can't see how this would cause the error you're seeing though.

The experiment would be to grab a usb or firewire disk (or even a
memory stick), partition/format it as case sensitive (or even *unix*)
and try to do

 svn co svn+ssh://dev.open-bio.org/home/hartzell/bioperl/bioperl-live/tags/release-0-9-2/t/data

into it.  If it works, voila.  If not, I'll keep making stuff up, err,
thinking about it.

g.