[Bioperl-l] Splits again

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Thu Jun 28 03:51:32 UTC 2007

Hey guys - I'm wading in a bit late as I haven't had time to keep up
with whole discussion.

So you are suggesting 800+ individual CPAN modules?  I don't think
that is a good idea.  Why would you split up Bio::Seq::RichSeq and
Bio::Seq into two separate packages for example? I think if you
really want to move away from the monolithic install it has to be
more logical by function - but I am not that optimistic that this is
going to actually be easier for people.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

What are the arguments for separating things -- to make it so people
aren't scared by the number of modules so they'll code?  It seems
like some people just want it to be installed and run scripts - does
having them install dozens of modules work.  Do we need to consider
people how much this would suck if someone can't use CPAN or
Module::Builder to automate dependancy tracking installation?  How
does it work when modules are deprecated?

I'm not sure I have made up my mind on what I'd like to see, but at
some point I think we need to get a clearer idea of what audience we
are trying to serve best.  If want it to be easy to install maybe we
should invest time into making OSX double-click installers, RPMs, and
the Windows stuff easily installable.  If we want to serve the
developers who aren't using SVN so we want to push out releases of
modules ASAP?  I just am not clear on the motivation for some of the
proposed changes.

Also - the main point I wanted to make - Can I suggest we spend a
little time discussing what it will take to get a stable release for
the current code as it stands (bioperl-live and bioperl-run)?  It
seems like we really need to do this first so that we have a stable
release that can be followed by CVS -> SVN migration, then consider
major changes to the repository structure and release packaging, and
potential deprecation and incorporation of other modules.

I assume there is no chance that we'd have a 1.6 candidate by BOSC
next month?

Will it be productive to schedule a fair amount of time at BOSC
discussing how to partition out the packages into separate sub-
packages after we've done a successful release rather than trying to
change things right now? I realize not everyone will be there but
maybe it will be easier to interact on this then.

I think it will also be time to talk with Lincoln/Scott about how
Gbrowse is structured and if that is working for them.  There is too
much code in different places that I think we need to figure out how
to structure it properly so those packages can be released.  It would
probably mean moving Bio::Graphics, Bio::DB::GFF and
Bio::DB::SeqFeature and gff tools for Gbrowse into separate packages
so they could be released more regularly on par with Gbrowse
schedules.   Also I think someone needs to figure out Bio::Tools::GFF
vs Bio::FeatureIO -- what do we want to do?  I don't think we really
fully support GFF3 that well -- the X2GFF scripts probably need some
more good testing (where X is BLAST,FASTA,Sim4, GenBank, EMBL,
etc... ) and or migration to the proper GFF writing.

-jason