[Bioperl-l] Test overhaul complete

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 27 21:53:02 UTC 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 4:25 PM, Nathan S. Haigh wrote:

>> Is there much value in doing that? Does anyone want me to look
>> into the
>> feasibility of such a thing?
>

> I think the value would be in other external modules being able to use
> bioperl modules with more ease (not sure how many modules have, or
> currently depend on bioperl) as they would depend on a single module,
> rather than the whole package. However, how would the dependencies of
> each module be handled? I'm clearly thinking aloud, but....Maybe this
> would tease apart "cliques" of modules that are interdependent? and
> could in themselves be shipped as bundles e.g. Bio::Graphics and
> have a
> "master" bioperl bundle that installa all the bioperl modules.

See my response to Sendu, and Steve Chervitz's original post and
related thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general/15315/
focus=15315

which pretty much covers the same ground.  I think at most 4-5 split
'cliques', including core, with the fewest possible dependencies in
core.  If we do any of this, it prob. should wait until after an svn
migration and bugzilla bug stomping unless there is a (well-argued)
advantage to doing it now.