[Bioperl-l] Taxonomy hierarchy extraction

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Jun 19 16:14:38 UTC 2007

Sorry I was accidentally looking at an older branch.

Reading through the Taxon module I get more confused though than
would leave me at ease.

Here's what I understand of your description of the problem:

- We would like nodes returned from Bio::DB::Taxonomy to use the
database for all hierarchical queries.

- We would like nodes used in a Bio::Tree::Tree not to use the
database for any hierarchical query.

What I understand that we have is

- Taxon node objects that have a db_handle set will use the database
for ancestor(), unless it has been set manually (?), but not for
each_Descendent().

- Taxon node objects that don't have a db_handle set won't use a
database but will function normally otherwise.

- This is needed to prevent Bio::Tree::Tree methods from pulling the
entire tree into memory.

If this is correct (I'm not sure it is), it sounds like we want to
temporarily divorce taxonomy nodes from their database capabilities
while they are being queried in a tree context?

I'm still trying to understand - if I create a Bio::Tree::Tree from a
single node, will the tree automatically contain all nodes along the
lineage of ancestors up to the root? So, even if extracting this
lineage involved querying a database it would be acceptable, but not
for querying descendents?

It sounds to me like what is needed is that nodes that get added to a
tree need to be stripped of their database capabilities. This could
be achieved by creating a wrapper class that delegates all non-
hierarchical methods to the wrapped Taxon object, and overriding all
hierarchical queries to not use a database. I'm not sure I fully
understand yet though, but the inconsistent behavior will be sure to
throw people off track.

	-hilmar