[Bioperl-l] Taxonomy hierarchy extraction

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Mon Jun 18 17:53:28 UTC 2007

It is implemented in the implementing class - DB::Taxonomy is just
the base class. For example see the flatfile implementation
Bio::DB::Taxonomy::flatfile

See the scripts/taxa/local_taxonomydb_query.PLS for example using it:
nodes and names are from NCBI taxonomy database.

Here is an un-debugged copy+paste for your question that *should* work.

use Bio::DB::Taxonomy
my $idx_dir = '/tmp';

my ($nodefile,$namesfile) = ('nodes.dmp,'names.dmp');
my $db = new Bio::DB::Taxonomy(-source    => 'flatfile',
                                -nodesfile => $nodesfile,
                                -namesfile => $namesfile,
                                -directory => $idx_dir);
  my $node = $db->get_Taxonomy_Node(-taxonid => '33090');
  my @extant_children = grep { $_->is_Leaf } $node->get_all_Descendents;

-jason