[Bioperl-l] SVN and ...Re: Perltidy

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Thu Jun 14 19:00:09 UTC 2007

On Jun 14, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Chris Fields wrote:

> To chip in on this, I only use perltidy when I need to clean bioperl
> code up for debugging (particularly if blocks are hard to see) and
> just use the defaults.  I agree it would be nice to have everything
> tidied up but it'll definitely need to be a consensus config file.

Can we do any sort of massive conversion at some logical timepoint.
Probably after a branch release or something?  Because it basically
means we're going to have differences on nearly every line which is
going to make diff-ing difficult when debugging old/new versions.
Maybe it is not a problem because we aren't introducing and new bugs!

> About svn, I like the idea of eventually migrating to using it over
> CVS (I think BioPython and BioJava have plans to but I'm not sure)
> but I don't really know enough to say how feasible/difficult the
> migration path would be.  Anyone know?

It's doable but non-trivial.  cvs2svn (python gah!) script exists to
help in this.  There are pros and cons to converting.   There is a
fair amount of documentation and other pointers out there that point
to the CVS server for getting latest code so we'd need to think about
whether we'd support some sort of backwards compatible SVN -> CVS for
read-only or what.

Mostly it will need someone to lead the charge - I made a go at doing
it in the winter, but I really don't have the SVN-foo to make this
work.  We'd need someone with SVN experience to step up and help.
You can always try and we can play with the converted repository for
a while without making it the new code base.

-j