[Bioperl-l] Announcement: infernal/erpin/rnamotif parsers

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 16 14:37:31 UTC 2007

To anyone using the aforementioned parsers:

I don't plan on continuing development of the Bio::Tools-related
Infernal, RNAMotif, and ERPIN parsers at this time unless there is
substantial interest in doing so.  Instead, I plan on focusing my
efforts on the Bio::SearchIO-based parsers as I feel they are much
better at representing the data present in the output.  In my opinion
having two sets of parsers that accomplish essentially the same task
is redundant and non-productive.  Again, if there is considerable
interest in keeping them I suggest responding to this message,
otherwise I would consider them deprecated and removed completely by
rel 1.7 (maybe sooner).

Infernal: It's very likely that a new stable version (v. 1.0) of
Infernal will be released in the near future.  I may upgrade the
Bio::SearchIO-based parser in the meantime to parse the latest
Infernal output (v 0.81), but I don't plan on supporting pre-1.0
releases once the final version is out.  Infernal has been in
developer release for some time now and the program output has
changed dramatically over time; however, the format is expected to
solidify once a stable release is made, which makes supporting the
parser much easier over time.

Questions?  Gripes?