[Bioperl-l] Bioperl tests: Test, Test::Simple, Test::More?

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 5 20:36:28 UTC 2006

Hilmar,

You can install a newer (v 5.8) version of perl on Jaguar, if needed.  Apple
has some directions on how you could do this:

http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/perl.html

Anyway, we're getting off the subject (tests).  I have tried adding
Test::Simple's lib directory contents (Test/) to t/ in my local bioperl-live
checkout and ran tests with perl 5.6 (which doesn't have Test::Simple
installed) and EUtilities.t, which requires Test::More in Test::Simple.  It
seems to work fine.

I just ran a simple eval{} similar to what we use for Test.pm currently in
all the tests.  The Test::Simple directory is ~125 KB, so isn't too big
compared to some of the test data we've added over the years.

Do you think it's worth adding Test::Simple to CVS?  It would give us a bit
more flexibility here and we wouldn't have to worry about the perl
versioning issues.

Chris