[Bioperl-l] Bug reports and attachments

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Tue Oct 10 15:10:25 UTC 2006

Phillip San Miguel wrote:
> Sendu Bala wrote:
>> BTW Phillip, thank you for the bug report but in future use the
>> attachment capabilities for files, please don't paste them into the
>>  comments box.
>>
> Sendu, Sounds reasonable to me. I should note, however; when I
> entered the bug, I was looking for some method to attach files. There
> is none on the "Enter Bug: Bioperl" page:
>
> http://bugzilla.open-bio.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Bioperl
>
> Also, "bug writing guidelines" makes no mention of it. I vaguely
> remembered there being some method to do it--but given the "bug
> writing guidelines" exhortations to be specific and detailed, I
> thought I must put the information somewhere. So I put them them the
> only place offered (on that page)--"Description:"

I agree that things could be better here. Who looks after bugzilla, and
is this an alterable feature?

> I see that, once submitted, attachments can be added to a bug report.
> Is that normally how it is done?

Yes, AFAIK.

> Doesn't each attachment result in a separate email to the bioperl
> guts email list?

Yes, but that's not a problem. In fact, doing it this way means you
don't email everyone subscribed to guts your big files in plain text,
but instead they get a small email with a link to the download.

> Anyway,  I've just added the files to the bug report as attachments,
>  in case someone needs them to construct a test.

Thank you.