[Bioperl-l] Do we need Bio::Root::Object anymore?

Will Spooner whs at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Oct 2 16:00:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Chris Fields wrote:

>> Sendu,
>>
>> No objection but someone should check the scripts in examples/root to make
>> sure that they are not used there.
>>
>> Brian O.
>
> I suppose it's also possible that the other bioperl distributions (like
> bioperl-run) could use them as well.
>
> If they do we can take care of them as they pop up.  These are really old
> and haven't been revised in a long time.
>
> The only one I worry about is Bio::Root::Storable b/c of Ensembl.  Does
> anyone know where Will Spooner is?  He's the maintainer for
> Bio::Root::Storable.

Hi Chris,

I'm still lurking...

If the tests for Bio::Root::Storable still pass (I assume that they do),
then the module is working as advertised.

The idea behind Storable is very simple; object instances of any
inhereting class can be serialised/retrieved from disk. BioPerl objects
will probably not want this functionality by default, but it is trival to
implement if needed.

Will