[Bioperl-l] No more Makefile.PL (MakeMaker -> Module::Build)

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Wed Nov 15 21:10:27 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
> All tests pass for WinXP.  If anyone wants to install from CVS using
> WinXP we'll need to get them to install Module::Build, as it doesn't
> come standard with ActivePerl (although a PPM is available).  I'm
> guessing make/nmake is still required, though not explicitly.

I think one of the benefits of Module::Build is that it is more
cross-platform, and doesn't rely on a make-like thing.

If you tried to install without Module::Build on WinXP, did you get some
kind of meaningful error message?

> One oddity I noticed is if you use:
>
> perl Build.PL Build
>
> On Mac it manifies the POD; on WinXP it manify's and HTMLifies the
> POD.

Nothing to do with me. I guess WinXP people like HTML docs :)

> I would suggest that we make this optional, though; not everybody
> wants the HTML/man pages.

I disagree with making it optional, default off. I've never been aware
of having the option to not install man pages for things that had man
pages to install. It just happens and I'm glad of it.

Its telling that there doesn't seem to be command line arg to turn doc
installation off in Module::Build. Its a new functionality I'd have to
add, I think. Is there actually any significant value in not installing
docs?