[Bioperl-l] No more Makefile.PL (MakeMaker -> Module::Build)

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 15 22:31:56 UTC 2006

> Chris Fields wrote:
> > All tests pass for WinXP.  If anyone wants to install from
> CVS using
> > WinXP we'll need to get them to install Module::Build, as
> it doesn't
> > come standard with ActivePerl (although a PPM is available).  I'm
> > guessing make/nmake is still required, though not explicitly.
>
> I think one of the benefits of Module::Build is that it is
> more cross-platform, and doesn't rely on a make-like thing.
>
> If you tried to install without Module::Build on WinXP, did
> you get some kind of meaningful error message?

Yes:

C:\Perl\src\bioperl\core>perl Build.PL
Base class package "Module::Build" is empty.
    (Perhaps you need to 'use' the module which defines that package first.)
 at ModuleBuildBioperl.pm line 12
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ModuleBuildBioperl.pm line 12.
Compilation failed in require at Build.PL line 16.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Build.PL line 16.

Which clued me in immediately.

> > One oddity I noticed is if you use:
> >
> > perl Build.PL Build
> >
> > On Mac it manifies the POD; on WinXP it manify's and HTMLifies the
> > POD.
>
> Nothing to do with me. I guess WinXP people like HTML docs :)
>

> > I would suggest that we make this optional, though; not everybody
> > wants the HTML/man pages.
>
> I disagree with making it optional, default off. I've never
> been aware of having the option to not install man pages for
> things that had man pages to install. It just happens and I'm
> glad of it.
>
> Its telling that there doesn't seem to be command line arg to
> turn doc installation off in Module::Build. Its a new
> functionality I'd have to add, I think. Is there actually any
> significant value in not installing docs?

HTML docs are made by PPM upon module installation, so there is no need for
making HTML at least on WinXP (and the conversion almost triples the time
for the Build step).  However, oddly, using 'Build test' only manifies the
docs on WinXP (using 'Build' does both man and HTML).

I have a feeling we will run into this very rarely (the average WinXP user
will install using PPM), so it's not an immediate problem.  I would like to
hear what Mauricio finds on FreeBSD and see how other OS's fare.

I see that there is a PPMMaker module with Module::Build, so we'll have to
look into that for WinXP PPMs..

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry