[Bioperl-l] Handling miRNA's

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 10 17:01:27 UTC 2006

I don't think there's anything like this in Bioperl, and I'm unfamilar with
the naming scheme you're using.  If you're searching for specific miRNA's, a
good resource looks like the miRNA database, which seems to be updated
regularly (http://microrna.sanger.ac.uk/sequences/) and uses the same system
for RNA annotation that you use (which, I'm guessing, is a standardized
annotation scheme of some sort).  I believe the database is downloadable and
searchable by name, so you could probably build a querying scheme using LWP
or HTTP::Request (if the web interface allows for this).  I know that Sean
Eddy's Rfam database (http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Software/Rfam/) also has
information on miRNA's, but it's somewhat limited.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign